Sunday, October 9, 2011

the movie Inception is the greatest movie of 2010?!映画「インセプション」は2010年度ベスト映画!?

Very short introduction:
Visionary filmmaker Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight) writes and directs this psychological sci-fi action film about a thief who possesses the power to enter into the dreams of others. Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) doesn't steal things, he steals ideas. By projecting himself deep into the subconscious of his targets, he can glean (gather,collect)information that even the best computer hackers can't get to. In the world of corporate espionage, Cobb is the ultimate weapon.

 Various views:
 I liked this movie because it was not like anything I have seen before. I thought it was exciting and engaging, the story really pulled me in, and held me tight, never letting go until the credits rolled. Lots of good action and effects, but the STORY and the acting is what separates this movie from other, lesser flicks(movies). The performances were fantastic, I am not a huge DiCaprio fan, but he has done some great work here. I have always been amazed about the human ability to dream. I have always wonder if anyone could truly capture that topic. And I believe Inception did a wonderful job of making the dream world a reality, at least as far as movies go. It is one movie that kept me on the edge of my seat, with mouth wide open wondering what was going to happen next. And at the end, everyone is still left wondering. That is the mark of a good movie when everyone still must speak about it after it is over. At a micro level, the visuals are effective and there's enough action to make the movie reasonably entertaining. The acting is also generally good enough. However, on the macro level, the nested dreams concept just seemed complicated for the sake of being complicated, and it wasn't done in a way that generated much intrigue for me. In fact, I found it almost boringly tedious. And even more broadly, this movie doesn't seem to have any point, any serious reflections on the human condition. Yes, it does obviously raise the question of how we can distinguish dreams from reality, but there's nothing new there, and other movies have done a much better job with this theme. Moreover, the notion that people would go to all this trouble for the sake of business espionage strikes me as being silly and bordering on cartoonish(not real).

No comments: